- Any claim or notice of intent to file a claim must be submitted in writing (CCQ, art. 2050).
- The following documents must be attached to your claim:
- An invoice issued by your company showing the amount you wish to claim from the Groupe Morneau company you hold liable for the loss of or damage to your goods (Morneau Transport, Morneau Eskimo, Morneau Solution, Morneau Sego). If your claim is approved, no taxes will be paid, as the amount represents compensation for damages and no purchase of goods or services is involved.
- An invoice showing the amount claimed (supplier’s invoice).
- A copy of any invoices for repairs if damaged goods have been repaired.
- A copy of the original invoice (invoice issued to the customer).
- Signed proof of delivery, indicating any damages or shortages at the time of delivery (notations such as Subject to Inspection, Possible Shortage or Possible Damage are not acceptable and could result in your claim being denied).
- A copy of the paid freight bill.
- A copy of the original Bill of Lading.
- In the event of damage, partial loss or any other reason, you have 60 days to submit your claim or notice of intent to file a claim to your carrier (CCQ, art. 2050).
- In the event of complete shipment loss, you have 9 months to submit your claim or notice of intent to file a claim to your carrier (CCQ, art. 2050).
- Unless otherwise agreed in writing between you and your carrier, if no value is declared on the Bill of Lading, the carrier’s liability is limited to $2.00/lb (see Bill of Lading). What’s more, the claim will be reimbursed at cost (shipping), not at market value (CCQ, art. 2052). The carrier is not required to reimburse you for lost profits, penalties, late fees and administrative fees (CCQ, art. 2052).
- You must keep the damaged goods until the claim has been settled, as the carrier has the right to salvage the goods and have them inspected. If the carrier cannot salvage the goods and have them inspected, it may deny the claim.
- Groupe Morneau will not process claims under $25.00 and we will not be liable for any penalties or fines imposed on the shipper by the consignee for delays or any other reason unless the parties have signed a written agreement detailing such fines and penalties.
- Claims for shortages when goods are delivered on sealed pallets will be denied.
- The carrier may not be held liable for damages to goods shipped “at owner’s risk” or for faulty packaging.
- Only claims submitted by the party who pays the freight charges are acceptable.
Complete the claim request
If your request complies with our policy, please check the box and move to the next step.
My request complies.